Methodist Hospital historical timeline
In 1892, the 32-bed Asbury Hospital opened in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1916, Asbury expanded into a new 180-bed hospital, also in Minneapolis. In 1921, Asbury Hospital was leased to the United States Public Health Service for use as a veteran’s hospital. The lease with the federal government expired in 1928.
In 1935, Asbury and six other Minneapolis Hospitals joined an alliance of St. Paul hospitals that had begun offering insurance plans to local companies and called itself the Minnesota Hospital Service Association, which later became Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota and served as a model for other Blue Cross and Blue Shield organizations around the country.
In 1956, ground was broken for the new Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, a first ring suburb of Minneapolis. The six floor, 276-bed facility opened in 1959. 24-hour emergency services were added in 1969, followed by a cardiac intensive care unit in 1970.
Other important historical dates
1971: Methodist Hospital Foundation is established
1974: Methodist Cancer Center and One Day Surgery Center open
1977: Methodist Hospital becomes one of only five Parkinson’s Disease Information Centers in the United States
1986: Methodist Hospital Eating Disorders Institute is founded.
Park Nicollet Clinic historical timeline
1920: Nicollet Clinic is founded in Minneapolis, and acquires the 120-bed Eitel Hospital in 1929.
1950: St. Louis Park Medical Center is founded.
1959: St. Louis Park Medical Center Research Foundation is established.
1963: Nicollet Clinic Foundation is established.
1967: Park Nicollet International Diabetes Center (IDC) opened.
Hospital/Clinic system growth
1993: Methodist Hospital merges with Park Nicollet Clinic to become HealthSystem Minnesota.
1995: Struthers’ Parkinson’s Center opens in Golden Valley, Minnesota.
2000: HealthSystem Minnesota changes its name to the current Park Nicollet Health Services, an integrated system that included Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital, Park Nicollet Clinic, Park Nicollet Foundation and Park Nicollet Institute.
2005: Park Nicollet Heart and Vascular Center opens on the Methodist Hospital campus in St. Louis Park.
2005: Park Nicollet TRIA Orthopaedic Center opens in Bloomington, Minnesota.
2009: Park Nicollet Melrose Institute for Eating Disorders opens as a 30-bed inpatient facility with nine residential beds, located 1 mile from Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital in St. Louis Park.
2009: Park Nicollet Frauenshuh Cancer Center opens on the Methodist Hospital campus in St. Louis Park.
2011: Park Nicollet Clinic—Lakeville opens.
2012: Park Nicollet Clinic—Rogers opens.
2004: Park Nicollet fully integrated its digital medical record.
2009: Park Nicollet required mandatory disclosure of clinician relationships with pharmaceutical and medical technology companies and vendors.
2005-2011: Park Nicollet participated in the “Physician Group Practice demonstration project” (PGP) started by Medicare. The five-year project established incentives for quality improvement and cost efficiency at the level of physician group practices. PGP project results showed Park Nicollet saw a drop in readmissions for Medicare patients with congestive heart failure.