Visiting patients at Methodist Hospital
As a visitor, you play an important role in your loved one’s recovery. You can serve as a companion, advocate and participant in their care. Your presence is welcome at Methodist Hospital. Please note that visiting times vary from unit to unit. Ask a nurse and they’ll be happy to talk with you about visiting hours.
We welcome you to visit any time, but we encourage you to visit between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. to ensure a quiet, healing time for our patients.
- Visitors are allowed on hospital premises 24 hours per day.
- Visitation is encouraged from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Methodist Hospital is secured from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. with access available via intercom communications. Intercoms are located at facility entrances from the Blue and Orange parking ramps.
Nurse Unit Procedures
- Visitors who are already in the facility or on a nursing unit at 9 p.m. will be directed to their patient’s nursing unit desk for a visitor badge.
- Nursing staff will provide unit visitors with ID.
Park Nicollet Methodist Hospital allows patients to designate visitors during their stay. We understand that visitors can provide a sense of comfort and safety, and also promote a healing environment.
Please follow these guidelines during your visit:
- All visitors must wash their hands or use the alcohol hand rub in the patient’s room before visiting a patient.
- People with colds, sore throats or other contagious diseases should not visit.
- Visitors are asked to maintain a quiet environment.
- Please be considerate of both patients in semiprivate rooms.
- Healthy children may visit at the nurse’s discretion. They must be supervised by an adult at all times. Brothers and sisters of the newborn are the only children allowed in the Family Birth Center.
- If the patient’s door is closed or the curtain pulled, check at the nurse’s station before entering the room.
- Visitors may be asked to leave the room during exams and tests.
- Latex balloons are not allowed due to allergies and sensitivities. Mylar balloons are fine.
- Please check with the nurse before bringing any food or drink to patients.
- Please do not use the patient’s bathroom. A visitors’ bathroom is located in the hallway.
- Thank you for working with the healthcare team to ensure your loved one feels the personal support he or she needs while hospitalized in a restful and healing environment.
Visitors may include individuals designated by legally valid advance directives, such as durable powers of attorney and healthcare proxies. All visitors share visitation privileges that are no more restrictive than those of immediate family members. Methodist Hospital does not deny visitation privileges on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. Visitors who pose a risk to the emotional, medical or physical safety and well-being of patients, visitors or staff will not be permitted on hospital premises.
Parking is available for a fee in the Orange and Blue ramps. Rates range from $4 for up to 1 hour, to $11 for 7 to 24 hours.
Valet parking is available weekdays at the 6500 Excelsior Blvd. and 3931 Louisiana Ave. entrances. Cost is $6. No gratuities, please.
Patient and visitor discounts
- Park Nicollet patients coming to appointments. If you self park in the Orange or Blue ramp, bring your parking ticket to your appointment to have it stamped to receive $3 parking. This stamp ensures you pay only $3, regardless of the length of your appointment. The $3 stamp is for self park outpatients only.
- Hospital patients. If you are bringing a patient to be admitted, Admitting will issue a voucher upon admission that allows you to exit the parking ramp for $3. If you are picking up a patient who is being discharged, or you have driven yourself here for an inpatient stay, you will receive a voucher upon discharge that allows you to exit the parking ramp for $3.
- Discount visitor pass for long-term patient stays. Beginning on the fifth consecutive day of a patient’s stay, visitors can buy an all-day parking pass for $4 at the Safety and Security office, Suite 1-250, on the first floor hallway between the hospital and Park Nicollet Clinic—Meadowbrook. Passes are available for purchase 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visitors may purchase more than one pass at a time. Passes are nonrefundable.
Call Safety and Security at 952-993-5101 with questions or concerns.
Free lot parking
Free parking and shuttle service to Methodist Hospital is available in the Red Lot (corner of Louisiana Avenue and Oxford Street), 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays.
Assistants available Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., at our main entrances to help you with:
- parking information
- getting to and from your appointment
- free golf-cart service (for patients or visitors who need help to and from their car; call 952-993-5101)
Safety and security
Parking areas are monitored 24/7 by Safety and Security. For escorts to your car, call 952-993-5101. Please remember to lock your car and remove all valuables.
Safety and Security Department Procedures
- At 9 p.m. the perimeter access to Methodist Hospital campus buildings is restricted.
- Access is provided via intercom communications to Security Dispatch.
- Security will screen and give access as appropriate.
- To contact Park Nicollet's Safety and Security, call 952-993-5101.