Be Pink encourages women to be empowered in the fight against breast cancer by promoting the importance of early detection and supporting education, outreach and annual screening mammograms for women in our community.
- One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer; most have no family history of the disease.
- When breast cancer first develops, there may be no symptoms at all. That's why screening is so important.
- Although most people think of breast cancer as affecting women, men can develop cancer as well.
Finding breast cancer early and treating it is the best way to prevent death from the disease. Breast cancer does not cause symptoms in the early stages, so it's important to have screening exams and tests. At the Jane Brattain Breast center, we support the American Cancer Society's recommendations for breast cancer screening, which are:
Clinical breast exam:
- Age 40 and older—Yearly mammograms are recommended starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
- Age 20-39—ranges from every year to every three years
- Age 40 and older—every year
Breast self-exam is optional for women starting in their 20's. Women should know how their breasts normally look and feel and report any breast change to their health care provider.
If you have an increased risk of breast cancer (i.e., family history, a genetic tendency or certain other factors), you may need to start having mammograms done at an earlier age. Talk to your doctor about your history and whether you should have additional tests at an earlier age.
Schedule your annual screening mammogram and encourage the women in your life to schedule theirs, too. Park Nicollet offers mammography appointments at five convenient locations. For appointments, call 952-993-3700.
You can support Be Pink in October and throughout the year.
- Be Pink fundraising breakfast sponsored by Schuler Shoes
Tuesday, Oct. 8, 7:30 a.m.
Wayzata Country Club
Learn more and register
- Be Pink Project Glam
Thursday, Oct. 24
Learn more and register
- Become a Be Pink Partner
Host a table at our fundraising breakfast or Project Glam, light your home or business pink, create your own pink promotion or host an outreach activity. Call 952-993-5023 to learn more.
- Spread the word
To host a Jane Brattain Breast Center speaker at you company or organization, call Christian Loger at 952-993-6119.
- Make a gift
Gifts to Jane Brattain Breast Center help promote health, healing and diagnostic services to more than 70,000 women in the Twin Cities each year.
Learn more about Be Pink and our partners at wcco.com/bepink.