1. Sperzel J, Milasinovic G, Smith TW, Simonson J, et al. Automatic measurement of atrial pacing thresholds in dural chamber pacemakers: Clinical experience with atrial capture management. Heart Rhythm 2005; 2: 1203-1210.
2. Hellman DB, Kirsch CM, Whiting-O'Keefe Q, Simonson J, Schiller NB, Petri M, Gansen G, Gold W. Dyspnea in ambulatory patients with SLE: Prevalence, severity, and correlation with incremental exercise testing. J of Rheumatology 1995; 22:455-461.
3. Winslow TM, Ossipov MA, Fazio GP, Foster E, Simonson JS, Schiller NB. The left ventricle in systemic lupus erythematosus: Initial observations and a five-year follow-up in a university medical center population. Am Heart J 1993; 125:1117-1122.
4. Kee LL, Simonson JS, Stotts NA, Skov P, Schiller NB. Echocardiographic determination of valid zero reference levels in supine and lateral positions. Am J Critical Care 1993; 2:72-80.
5. Simonson J, Gang ES, Diamond GA, Vaughn CA, Mandel WJ, Peter T. Selection of patients for programmed ventricular stimulation: A clinical decision-making model based on multivariate analysis of clinical variables. J Am Coll Card 1992; 20:317-27.
6. Evans SJL, Myers M, Zaher C, Simonson J, et al. High dose oral amiodarone loading: Electrophysiologic effects and clinical tolerance. J Am Coll Card 1992; 19:169-73.
7. Moazez F, Peter T, Simonson J, Mandel WJ, Vaughn C, Gang E. Syncope of unknown origin: Clinical, noninvasive, and electrophysiologic determinants of arrhythmia induction and symptom recurrence during long-term follow-up. Am Heart J 1991; 121:81-88.
8. Simonson JS, Gang ES, Mandel WJ, Peter CT. Increasing the yield of ventricular tachycardia induction: A prospective, randomized comparative study of the standard ventricular stimulation protocol to a short-to-long protocol and a new two-site protocol. Am Heart J 1991;121:68-76
9. Simonson JS, Schiller NB, Hellmann DB, Petri M. Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in systemic lupus erythematosus. J of Rheumatology 1989;16:918-25.
10. Diethelm L, Simonson JS, Dery R, Gould R, Schiller NB, Lipton MJ. Measurement of LV mass by ultrafast-CT and 2-D echocardiography. Radiology 1989; 171:213-217.
11. Simonson JS, Schiller NB. Descent of the base of the left ventricle: An echocardiographic index of left ventricular function. J Am Society Echocard 1989; -35.
12. Himelman RB, Landzberg JS, Simonson JS, Amend W, Bouchard A, Merz R, Schiller NB. Cardiac consequences of renal transplantation: changes in left ventricular morphology and function. J Am Coll Card 1988; 12:915-923.
13. Simonson JS, Schiller NB. Sonospirometry: a new method for noninvasive estimation of mean right atrial pressure based on two-dimensional echographic measurements of the inferior vena cava during measured inspiration. J Am Coll Card 1988; 11:557-564.
14. Chavers BM, Simonson J, Michael AF. A solid phase fluorescent immunoassay for the measurement of human urinary albumin. Kid Int 1984; 25:576-578.
15. Noland W, Simonson J, et al. Cyclizative condensation and addition reactions of indoles and indenes. In: Watson WH (ed): Stereochemistry and reactivity of systems containing Pi electrons. Verlag Chemie International, Deerfield Beach, FL 1983; 395-434.
1. Simonson J, Schaaf VM, Mills J: Nine episodes of infective endocarditis in one patient--a new record. West J Med 1987; 146:96-98.
2. Abrams DI, Simonson J, Robia M, Blumenfeld W, Cohen MB, Hadley WK: Disseminated coccidioidomycosis in AIDS (letter). N Engl J Med 1984; 310:986-987.
Abstracts and Other Academic Activities:
1. Sperzel J et al. Automatic measurement of atrial pacing thresholds in dual chamber pacemakers- atrial capture management. Heart Rhythm 2004; 1 (abst).
2. Ruetz L, Nelson S, Sheldon T, Hodgkin D, Shultz J, Simonson JS. Successful evoked response capture detection using a defibrillation lead. Heart Rhythm 2004; 1 (abst).
3. Hong M, Gang ES, Wang FZ, Siebert C, Xu YX, Simonson J, Peter T. Ventricular late potentials are associated with ventricular tachyarrhythmias in the early phase of myocardial infarction. Circulation 1988; 78:11302 (abst).
4. Myers M, Simonson J, Nalos P, Oseran D, Gang E, Peter T, Mandel W. Predictive value of electrophysiology study after high dose oral amiodarone. Clin Res l988; 36 (abst).
5. Assembled and produced the test tape and test questions for the American Society Echocardiography self-assessment test used at the American Heart Association 58th Scientific Sessions in November 1985 in Washington, D.C. and at the American College of Cardiology 35th Scientific Sessions in March 1986 in Atlanta, GA.
6. Himelman RB, Amend W, Bouchard A, Landzberg JS, Merz R, Simonson JS, Schiller NB. Regression of left ventricular hypertrophy after renal transplantation. J Am Coll Card 1987; 9:52A (abst).
7. Kee LL, Simonson JS, Stotts N, Schiller NB. Right atrial level change with patient positioning. Circulation 1986; 74:11-149 (abst).
8. Simonson JS, Merz RH, Schiller NB. Sonospirometry: a non-invasive method for estimating right atrial pressure. J Am Coll Card 1986; 7:145A (abst).
Research Study Participation (Primary site investigator or Co-investigator)
AFFIRM (atrial Fibrillation Followup Investigation of Rhythm Management)
- May 1996 to December 2002.
SCDHeFT (Sudden Cardiac Death Heart Failure Trial)
- December 1998 to December 2003.
PEECH (Enhanced External Counterpulsation- EECP- in Heart Failure)
- May 2003 to December 2004.
OVERTURE (Omapatrilat versus Enalapril Randomized Trial of Utility in Reducing Events) trial
- November 1999 to March 2002
PRIDE (Primary Implantable Defibrillator Study)
- June 1998 to June 2002
REMODEL (Inspra RVG study)
RESTORE- Resynchronization registry
Medtronic Model 7279 Insynch III Marquis ICD Cardiac Resynchronization trial
Medtronic Model 6947 lead study
Medtronic Model 4074/4574 lead study
Medtronic Model 3830 lead study
Medtronic Marquis VR study
Medtronic Ambulatory Ischemia Study
Medtronic MVP Download Study
Medtronic Enpulse Study
Medtronic PTS Blanking Study
Medtronic TRENDS Study
Medtronic Ensure CRT
Medtronic LV Capture Management study
Medtronic Dynamic Discrimination Download Study
Medtronic 4396 CS/ LV Lead Study
Medtronic BLOCK HF (ongoing)
Medtronic Shock Less (ongoing)
Medtronic Adaptive CRT (ongoing)
RESPECT – Amplatzer PFO Closure Study (ongoing)
PFO Access – Amplatzer PFO Closure device access
Biosense Webster Navistar Thermocool Atrial Flutter
PACE MI – NHLBI study for pacemakers post MI (stopped early in April 2009 due to enrollment)
ICD Sports Registry (ongoing)
CABANA – NHLBI study of Atrial Fibrillation Ablation vs. Medical Treatment (ongoing)
Biosense Webster Navistar Thermocool Atrial Fibrillation (ongoing)